Patch meshes

For all topics related to using or installing radiant
RedSnappa

Patch meshes

Post by RedSnappa »

I want to make a patch mesh larger than 15x15. Is there any way to do this? I tried to edit a MAP file manually and Radiant gave me an error.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

xandaxs

Re: Patch meshes

Post by xandaxs »

Just scale it?
The 15x15 has to do with the texture placement
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

Rylius
King wiki

Post by Rylius »

I only use 3 by 3 patches, it's easier to work with them and avoids a lot of bugs/issues in Radiant, q3map2 and the engine.
Rain - Blog - deviantArt
<Delirium> I did like a reverse jizz
<Delirium> in my pants
<Delirium> my jeans went into my sack
<Delirium> through my dick

Douze

Post by Douze »

Make a 15x15 patche and check the position of all points (ie all points are on the grid before you move them - if not, just scale the patch and check again).
If the shape does not look the same in radiant and in game, try to use -patchmeta when compiling. This fixed my problem but increased tris number.

ailmanki

Post by ailmanki »

NetRadiant can create patch meshes up to 31x31, FYI.

vulture

Post by vulture »

I did this in my map by breaking down larger meshes into 15x15 meshes, although I did that programatically, so that probably doesnt help if you're using radiant to create them

ailmanki

Post by ailmanki »

Curious, what did you need that for vulture? I guess you imported some kind of model?
I have big interests in that :)

vulture

Post by vulture »

Yeah I've used it for models, bowls (until I realized that triangles seem to glide better), and obscure surfaces. For example:
This surface doesn't technically exist as a discrete surface, so it looks awful when made with brushes. But, q3 seems to do a really good job visually when using patch meshes.

This one you can see the patch mesh subdivided in radiant... the textures were a little buggy (twisted) because of whatever and I never ended up polishing this jump. But, essentially the entire length of the "roller coaster" is just a very long 3D curve drawn in space, which some code converts into a set of points on a NxM patch mesh. Then, some other code writes that patch mesh to a .map file, dividing the NxM patch mesh into several adjacent PxQ patch meshes when necessary, where P and Q are both odd integers <= 15.

KroniK

Post by KroniK »

vulture wrote: essentially the entire length of the "roller coaster" is just a very long 3D curve drawn in space, which some code converts into a set of points on a NxM patch mesh. Then, some other code writes that patch mesh to a .map file, dividing the NxM patch mesh into several adjacent PxQ patch meshes when necessary, where P and Q are both odd integers <= 15.

This really cleared things up... :lol:
"I still miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is improving."

vulture

Post by vulture »

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not :D :( I can explain more detail if you want, or give some code, but I was just trying to be brief :P