bad lightmaps on .ase models

Questions about models, making models and problems with models
Rayne
Site Admin

bad lightmaps on .ase models

Post by Rayne »

Recently i started modeling and yesterday i made my first "usable" model.
I made a model of a barrel, exported it as .ase, made the normal and bump maps for it and after compiling i noticed that if i compile with -patchmeta switch the specular doesn't works.
So i compiled with only -meta and now _n and _b maps work but now the smoothing doesn't works properly and i get ugly looking lightmaps with clearly defined edges.
If i compile with both switches then -patchmeta is being ignored.
I added spawnflags 4 to the model and that soothed the problem a little but the lightmap still looks pretty bad.

-patchmeta

-meta

I have 2 smoothing groups on the model, one for the vertical walls and one for top and bottom "bands".

Anyone had a similar issue?
Is there a way to do separate compiles one with -meta and one with -patchmeta and then merge them? (yeah i know dumb question but i had to ask)

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Re: bad lightmaps on .ase models

Post by johnnyenglish »

I dunno about some of the stuff you said but your normal and bump maps look very nice.

I could use those barrels.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

johnnyenglish wrote:I dunno about some of the stuff you said but your normal and bump maps look very nice.

I could use those barrels.

You can have them as soon as i find a way to fix those shadows. I'm pretty sure that I'm doing something wrong in max.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Why are you using patchmeta anyway? you know all that does is bake patchmeshes into the bsp so thst theyre not dynamic. a switch you can easily do without

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Delirium wrote:Why are you using patchmeta anyway? you know all that does is bake patchmeshes into the bsp so thst theyre not dynamic. a switch you can easily do without

Because without it, i have edges on lightmaps i can't get rid of.
With patchmeta the model is smooth like it looks in max.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Maybe post it on q3w. patchmeta shouldnt be affecting models

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Look at that shit man. If shadows cross the lightmaps goes to hell. When you jump on the barrels and look down you see that your own shadow is messing it up completely.
It's driving me fucking nuts.
Now the above problem is partially fixed by using a lower lightmapscale on models and i understand why it happens.
Light hits the model from top and it's always lit no matter from which angle you look at it.
So when you're facing the light some surfaces look weird, -patchmeta fixes that.
I posted it on quake3world, I'm waiting for Obsidian to show some mercy.

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

These seams are very subtle i think... Try writing up phong shader for these barrels, and add some magic lightmap keys like q3map_lightmapMergable, q3map_lightmapSampleOffset or q3map_splotchFix (don't use 'em all at once)

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

ValkoVer wrote:These seams are very subtle i think... Try writing up phong shader for these barrels, and add some magic lightmap keys like q3map_lightmapMergable, q3map_lightmapSampleOffset or q3map_splotchFix (don't use 'em all at once)

Seams are subtle yes, and can't really be seen from a distance but sooner or later you will have to be close to the model.
However, after some tinkering and pondering i realized that the lightmap even tho not perfect isn't what brings out the seams. It's the specular that makes them visible. _n map isn't being wrapped around the model in the same way as the diffuse map. And that's where it breaks, one side is reflecting light while the other is matte.
Phong shading is broken with the new compiler btw.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Why is so much broken in the new compiler? Do we have a list of the breakages?

Whats the lightmapscale on the models?