My models

Questions about models, making models and problems with models
Rayne
Site Admin

My models

Post by Rayne »

OK so i will be posting updates on models before and as i release them here.
Here i can write a more extensive description of a model unlike of wiki.

*All of my models can be found right here: wiki/index.php/Models:Raynes_models
So let's start.

== OIL BARREL ==

This is my very first (half usable) model. The package includes the model in .ase format, diffuse map and a normal map.

== WOODEN BARREL (BUCKET) ==

My second model is a wooden barrel or a bucket whatever. Tested it with both vertex lighting and lightmapping, IMO lightmapped (spawnflags 4) this model looks far better, vertex lighting doesn't casts precise enough shadows on it which leads to certain areas being fully lit even tho a shadow is supposed to be cast on them.
Package includes model in .ase format, diffuse maps, normal maps and bump maps for parallax mapping.

flajeen

Re: My models

Post by flajeen »

I love your work. Always so perfect.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

flajeen wrote:I love your work. Always so perfect.

my work is so far from perfect it can hardly be described as average but thanks for the support, that's why i keep learning new things and improving :)

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

Do you think it only matters if it looks good?

then you are like me.

theRipper

Post by theRipper »

how do i do lighting like that 0_0

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

@flajeen
Well when it comes to models appearance is very important. There's no point in making an ugly looking model.
IMO it is better to spend few hundred tris more and make something look good rather than to make a bad looking model in a failed attempt to boost performance.

@ripper
_lightmapscale .125 on model
spawnflags 4 (in case the model has more curvy surfaces and less planar it's better to leave it vertex lit)
One point light, intensity 300, mild yellow colored placed close to the barrels (around 128 units, i think one block on grid 8 is 8 units)

HappyDay

Post by HappyDay »

I like the wooden barrel model. Just a few things to mention:
1. You could save some tris by removing all those inner faces of the hoops. Having a closer look there's even a second ring of faces inside that you could remove.
2. I probably wouldn't make those two handles that detailed.
3. I'd rather add some more tris to make the barrel look a bit rounder.
4. I think the reflection of the wood is a bit too strong.
5. You could rotate the wood texture of the bottom so that it's parallel to the staves of the barrel.
6. If you want to be 100% true to original you want the handles to be wood not metal.
7. Yeah, sorry, I'm nitpicking, the model still looks pretty nice. :)
Have a happy day! :)

theRipper

Post by theRipper »

looks like a doom 3 type game with that lighting

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Yeah i forgot about the cleanup, left too much faces to be drawn, my bad.
The barrel shouldn't look rounder, by no means. Sides are made out of wooden boards, diffuse maps painted in "occlusion" matches those boards. As it's shown on those screenshots you posted the barrel is made out of 18 vertical segments, each segment is a board and the bump map for parallax mapping is designed to match the seams between 2 segments. I probably should have gotten rid of the smoothing group on the barrel main body to make the difference more distinct.
The handles on some barrels are indeed made out of metal. Top ring is connected to them so that's what i was going for, plus i wanted to increase the amount of metal on the barrel to get more reflective surfaces.
But you're definitely right about wood being too shiny, i should have (and i probably will) create 2 separate _n maps and then combine them into one. On the other hand I've seen wooden barels that have polished surfaces that reflect a lot of light. But I'll probably tone it down a little.

And yes Ripper doom 3 style of lighting and specularity is what I'm going for. Strong point lights that make speculars scream, dark shadows and saturated textures.
I love colors, nothing can change that :D

Thanks for the feedback Happy :)

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Now it's time to texture it.
Poly count is very low on this one. I think well under 1500, i saw exactly the same model on the net with like 6000 polys so yeah it's not much :D