Urban Terror HD new engine design announced.

A forum to discuss Urban Terror
FrankieV

Urban Terror HD new engine design announced.

Post by FrankieV »

As some of you might have noticed Frozen Sand has announced that Urban Terror HD will be built on an engine of our own design so if you have any question feel free to ask and I'll see what I can do to give a reasonable answer as it relates to where we are now.

Rayne
Site Admin

Re: Urban Terror HD new engine design announced.

Post by Rayne »

Re you going with urho/ogre or their modifications or will the engine be built from ground up by FS coders.

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

Re you going with urho/ogre or their modifications or will the engine be built from ground up by FS coders.

Good Question.

The code name for our engine design is Iceberg and is modular in design as to what we want to put into it and more important to take out necessary to run Urban Terror at the highest performance level possible.

Urho and Ogre are just two of the many components that are available to plug into our design where if one element of the design does not meet our needs can be modified, removed, or changed at will and not limited by third party involvement due to incompatible licensing requirements.

From the ground up no but if some part or component is not up to our specifications it will be changed even if it means recoding from the ground up.

Will we be using these components is still up to Raedwulf to decided but if and when a decision is made I'm sure it will be made know but as far as content goes such decisions have little effect as far as our protected assets goes.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

I noticed urho3d and ogre3d support both opengl and direct3d9, will UrT hD be bale to run in either modes or will you stick to opengl.

I see animations are supported in those engines. So now we'll be able to create fully animated objects in maps? Like moving machine parts etc...

When will we know which of the 2 is used, and can we download SDK's now and play around with them to get a better idea as to how the engine works.
And how the hell do you start urho :D

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Rylius has been working with Ogre (I think) for a couple of years, he really rates it.

BTW, I'm on irc and awake now... never in the evenings.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

johnnyenglish wrote: he really rates it.

Rates? You mean hates?

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

No, rates it - it's UK slang term for liking something.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

johnnyenglish wrote:No, rates it - it's UK slang term for liking something.

Wasn't it easier to just say that in the first place instead of letting me spend 10 clicks on my keyboard? Clicks are expensive you know :D
Tell him to write a tutorial on how the hell to run that damn thing cause i looked at it and it's all japanese to me.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

I forget you're from some obscure part of Europe ... I'll keep it simple next time :-)

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

johnnyenglish wrote:I forget you're from some obscure part of Europe ... I'll keep it simple next time :-)

Hey hey hey, cut that out, we're proud members of the European Union now, so i now live in some obscure part of EU, thank you very much.