sharp shadows in UrT

General mapping discussions
Rayne
Site Admin

Re: sharp shadows in UrT

Post by Rayne »

flajeen wrote:ive read something on del's tutorial of worldspawn keys. gridsize key, check it out.

nope not it. Those shadows have nothing to do with standard ways of adjusting lightmap quality.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Here's another demo of ray traced shadows in UrT HD.

Had to adjust the softness and brightness of shadows a bit otherwise it looks like Quake 4 crap shadows.

pickles
Site Admin

Post by pickles »

Id like a gate like that in my garden :D

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Tell John to get some wooden boards and get to it :D

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Ok, its nice, I'll build a shed - now you're supposed to write down the steps you took to light that scene - I've played with your suggested light compile settings, and I know valkover did and we don't get those results.

Spill the beans matey, we know where you live.

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

that's looks impressivelly beautiful.
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

It's simple and looks good, tho it's time consuming.

The technique is called "shadow baking", the process is straight forward once you get used to it. And results are good looking ray traced shadows that speed up compile times and improve performance.
-notrace switch is essential, cause you need to set up lights in radiant so textures can be seen (duh) and of course so _n and _b maps can work.
*Note:
- This technique should be used on places where you want extreme details on shadows (if you don't feel like building the entire map out of models).
Or, if you plan to build the entire map out of models, you will need a layout first. Build the basic geometry first, unwrap it of course, and then add details. After that the fun part comes, unwrapping, rendering UV maps, lightmaps, texturing, rendering _n and _b maps, putting it all back together in max, and then deciding which parts you want to export together and which individually for maximum control in radiant.

It's a lot of work, but if you plan to build maps for UrT HD get used to working in a 3D modeling software more than in radiant. And keep an eye out on any piece of software that can help you in mapping.

http://historicgt.8.forumer.com/a/textu ... t1147.html

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Ahhh - nice find.

I finally managed to get 3dsmax7 running nicely on ubuntu yesterday with the asciimporter plugin so I might have a look at this idea for just models, dont shade them with q3map2 - it's a bit impractical for whole map?

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

johnnyenglish wrote:Ahhh - nice find.

I finally managed to get 3dsmax7 running nicely on ubuntu yesterday with the asciimporter plugin so I might have a look at this idea for just models, dont shade them with q3map2 - it's a bit impractical for whole map?

Not my find honestly, I have to thank Frankie for helping me out last 4 to 6 weeks. I've been spamming his inbox on an almost daily basis.

I don't think it's impractical, sure the whole process seems a bit confusing and sometimes it feels like you're doing double work. But once you get used to it you see that it's not that big of a deal. I think that in 10 years of UrT this is the only performance booster that actually improves the quality of something in the same time.