Mapping for UrT HD

General mapping discussions
RedSnappa

Re: Mapping for UrT HD

Post by RedSnappa »

johnnyenglish wrote:We're still waiting for a fuller description of how to bake rendered shadows into map textures, I'm sure a lot of us would like to experiment with this technique but are missing a few key points.

Perhaps you could enhance the CMM wiki with this information, or at least pass the information on to Rylius or myself and we'll add it.

Ask FrankieV about that. I'm just getting started with 3D modeling here.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

He was talking to Rayne! XD
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

theRipper

Post by theRipper »

BY THE WAY, autodesk can request proof of your enrollment as a student from those schools.

if youre not actually student, i wouldnt.

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

*EDITED BY RAYNE*

Do not post advices on how to obtain pirated software or links to pirated software on CMM.
Read the rules before you post.

cec.

Post by cec. »

Sorry to revive this "old" thread but what about maps already made in Radiant? I have been working on one map for nearly two years and another for a few months now and I thought to build and optimize these maps for HD. All of the textures are normal (and some bump) mapped with high resolution diffuse textures, thousands of brushes are to achieve a good looking map, a lot of cube maps are put in for best specularity and also a somehow well thought-out light concept (based on Frankie's painting with light video) is made for the final touch.
Will there be differences between maps made in Radiant and maps made in 3d modeling programs? Is the performance different? I am a little bit confused by contradictory statements about this topic and I would like to hear your opinion about it. Is it a bad idea to think these maps will get played in future versions of HD? Don't get me wrong: it's just about the maps on that people have been working on for a long time and don't want to trash.
The only thing I noticed so far is the bad lighting. It's not possible to get such nice shadows as shown by Rayne in his shadow baking technique (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=362).

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

You dont need to scrap anything, or change anything. Shadow baking is just another way to improve the look of your map but has disadvantages, as well as advantages. I've been experimenting and to make this single wall with sofas has taken quite a lot of work... for one wall.

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

Hey Rayne, don't edit my posts when you're the one posting about getting 3dsmax from students program when anyone here is probably a student that can use it legally.

Rules are rules, if I have to follow them you must follow them as well.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

flajeen wrote:Hey Rayne, don't edit my posts when you're the one posting about getting 3dsmax from students program when anyone here is probably a student that can use it legally.

Rules are rules, if I have to follow them you must follow them as well.

I tell people to obtain a LEGAL version of max through the students program. That is NOT against the rules.
You on the other hand advised a member to obtain an illegal copy of through a torrent, that IS against the rules.
Read the rules again and make sure you fully understand them.

cec.

Post by cec. »

johnnyenglish wrote:You dont need to scrap anything, or change anything. Shadow baking is just another way to improve the look of your map but has disadvantages, as well as advantages. I've been experimenting and to make this single wall with sofas has taken quite a lot of work... for one wall.

Okay, than I'll continue mapping in Radiant and finish the maps. Maybe there will be also improvements for Radiant-made maps some time.

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

End it on radiant, import it in 3dsmax, bake your shadows and export the whole map as a model, put it in radiant and make entities.