3dsmax won't start

General mapping discussions
RedSnappa

Re: 3dsmax won't start

Post by RedSnappa »

Yeah, I got it for school and wasn't really thinking of anything like this at the time (3 years ago). I wasn't going to run max/radiant/gimp together, unless there is some reason why I have to. What does running one at a time save me in this analysis?
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Well i often have max and photoshop or max and radiant running simultaneously. Most often when i texture models and what to check in real time how does the diffuse map fits.
If i have to turn max on and off every 20 minutes it can get annoying after a while.

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

Just googled your PC name, got the specifications. You might want to get your RAM upgraded, from 2 to 4 gigabytes. This kit seems pretty good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820178164

Your video card isn't very good, it is integrated on the chipset, you might wanna look for something like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131440. An AMD 6670 does the job for you, it's a pretty good video card for what you need.

Then you need to install Windows 7 64bit, if you install a 32bit version you will only be able to use 3 gigabytes of your total RAM. With Windows 7 and these upgrades your system will be considerably faster, specially on Urban Terror. I doubt you are getting 125fps.

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

flajeen wrote:Just googled your PC name, got the specifications. You might want to get your RAM upgraded, from 2 to 4 gigabytes. This kit seems pretty good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820178164

Your video card isn't very good, it is integrated on the chipset, you might wanna look for something like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131440. An AMD 6670 does the job for you, it's a pretty good video card for what you need.

Seems pretty affordable. How hard is it to install these myself? I'm good at building and repairing things but I haven't done it to a computer before. How many of these RAM kits will fit in my PC?

flajeen wrote:Then you need to install Windows 7 64bit, if you install a 32bit version you will only be able to use 3 gigabytes of your total RAM. With Windows 7 and these upgrades your system will be considerably faster, specially on Urban Terror. I doubt you are getting 125fps.

No, it stays in the 30-60fps range usually.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

No point in buying a card like 6670 that has a 108 W power draw when you more than likely don't have a power supply that can run everything properly.
I suggest you sell it, use the money you wanted to spend on RAM and GPU and get a newer rig.

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

My truly newer computer, with a 6850 only spends 338 watts. A video card and two DIMMs are pretty easy to install, the first time I've done it it took me 3 minutes.

Used a PSU online power calculator and his system only needs around 250 watts. Getting a better PSU could be better but harder to install as well.

Remove the Intel graphics driver, shut down your PC, open it. You need to install the graphics card on the PCI-Express slot (should be marked with a different color than the normal PCI slots) and connect the power cable from your PSU. Use your spanner to attach the graphics card to the box, close it and boot the computer. It will show the POST screen, or probably just a black screen for some seconds and it will boot at 800x600 resoluction. Download the graphics driver from AMD website and install it, reboot and run 3dsMax, it should work. Urbanterror will also run at constant 125fps.

That's it bro.