A new issue

General mapping discussions
banksy

A new issue

Post by banksy »

So previously i would compile my map and play it, and all textures in the .pk3 would be in game, although now for some odd reason, only the .tga images show, and the jpeg do not. This is a issue as .tga are quite large images, and my map which still has much texturing to go, is already a 20mb+ .pk3 file.
Any ways to reduce the size while keeping the same texture qualities?

RedSnappa

Re: A new issue

Post by RedSnappa »

I don't worry about .pk3 size too much. A large map will frequently be 60 MB+ with bump and normal maps.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

banksy

Post by banksy »

Not a problem then :)

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

Well with out seeing the build asset it's difficult to say what the root of the problem is.

By default the engine will load in TGA as the preferred texture unless told to use JPG as defined by absolute targeting or if the TGA version is not in the texture path.

So if texture path = textures/my_textures/texture_name

then if TGA is present that’s the texture that is loaded even if a JPG version is present. Delete the TGA then the JPG should load as the alternative.

The alternative is an absolute texture path as in

path = textures/my_textures/texture_name.jpg

The problem with absolute paths is it can and will break all scripting and shader paths.

But this brings up a rather interesting question.

Why would anyone want to design at the lowest expected quality in the first place?

From top down you should be building based on the best quality of detail possible based on available resources, limitations, and fixed budgets. That's to say forget about what has to be done to make an acceptable package as there is no guarantee that someone would be willing to download your map to play it regardless of the file size.

There are few points to consider here.

If you make the “must have” map people will download it no matter the file size.

Quality sells.

It's way easier to make less out of to much than to try and make not enough do more.

My advice to my guys is to build “it” to the best of their ability and vision and then we will talk about what is necessary later as to whats required to make a much more reasonable package.

Also of interest a JPG has the same identical memory foot print as a TGA so the only reason to go JPG in the first place is to maintain a smaller file size.