An introduction to map making for Urban Terror using 3ds Max

General mapping discussions
FrankieV

An introduction to map making for Urban Terror using 3ds Max

Post by FrankieV »

Goes live on YouTube

This will be a series from beginning to end demonstrating my process of building a map based on my process of design as to purpose and intent and the goal resulting in a map where players can run around and shoot digital guns at one another.

Instead of waiting until the series is completed, and spending a week uploading them, I instead decided to make the first 8 videos in the series available and then in the future add additional videos in batches so you all can begin using the info right away.

Part 1 is here and up to you to find the rest. ;)

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xazvn-GOTpk

Rayne
Site Admin

Re: An introduction to map making for Urban Terror using 3ds

Post by Rayne »

That's nice, good to have more info on the subject.

So the engine in 4.2 supports VO and normal mapping now? I'm out of the loop a bit, which compiler is used right now.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Ha brilliant idea.. can't wait to see more.

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

To be honest I'm not that much of a tech guy but I do know there will be engine improvements introduced long before HD is ready that will improve performance in mesh based maps.

There is a lot that will be added that’s beyond my current pay grade but placing the player models in to MD5 is a huge bump in performance as a contributing factor but what I do know know is under QA testing GrandHall, as a purely abusive map by design, still held up under player loads in 4.2 so even at this stage switching to mesh is a good option.

As to when there are still a few things to work out but considering that I'm here promoting the switch is an indication that FrozenSand wants to make sure that third party mappers are up to date as to optional tool usage that biases design towards geometry over brushes and to begin that process now.

I know it's not much of an answer at the moment but I can assure all that there is more information on the horizon and I'll make sure to post when we commit changes and as to when thous changes will become available.