DagF

Welcome to the Custom Map Makers forum. We encourage new members to post a short note about themselves.
DagF

DagF

Post by DagF »

Hey

I'm DagF. Just thought I should write something about myself.
I joined CMM early this year and have been around here since.

My brother found URT and showed it to me some 4 years ago. When I first played it I said "I will play it now, but I will not download it to my computer.". Some months later I got my own computer, one of the first things I did was to download URT xD

I played URT for 1,5-2 years, downloading and playing on all the maps I could find. I found the forum and thought it could be fun to make a map myself.

I got much help from Mr.Siim when I started(I must admit that my English was even worse and my computer knowledge was not impressive to say it at least. So I own him much for sticking out with me).

I started out with the idea that I was going to make everything myself.
I had just played my first jump map some weeks before I made my first room. It was the beginning of Ifjumps. I made it and play tested it with my mate |TNC|Kenneth. We had much fun playing 1 vs 1 on noob rooms I made, everything trough a hamachi lan. This saved me from releasing anything awful(Ifjumps is not great, not at all. But it's not as awful as the first maps I made(and the mapping contest entire was not good either, but it was more of a model screw-up then mapping errors :P).)

After a half year of mapping I had figured out nodamage, playerclip, teleporters, spawns(sorta) and everything I thought I needed to make a map. So I released Ifjumps. I got a few not bad response telling me it was a ok start. Then I got an comment from Rambetter that felt like a punch in the stomach. He told me the map looked like one of the bad maps played at some shitty server. Rambetter was, and still is a guy I look up to. So I felt really down for some days, but it didn't take long before I started redoing the map. I wanted to do what Ramb said. I wanted to make it look good even it was "just" a jump map.

I worked on the map, fixed the errors I knew about, tried to make it look better. Some six months later I got this idea of I scene I would like to make. This resulted in a massive rebuild of the map. I changed everything and ended up with a map that's all different but with the same jumps, just harder end rebuild(But none who have played the two maps can see they are eve close).

After last summer have I been taking the map out and worked on it a few weeks every other month or so. I have had much help from Driller on the map. He have been so kind as to play the map for me and given me jump errors and bug lists. Not to mention ideas. Happy and Xan have also played trough the map for me giving me nice and detailed bug lists. I have been fixing bug's and testing out new things, but not really worked on the map for some months.

And I guess this is where I am now.
There have been quite a few test maps, scenes I have build to test things just to stop working more on them as I had tested what I wanted to try.

I have a few projects that's pretty much dead right now. I might dust them off and keep working on them, but I'm not sure. I got a map where I am trying to recreate a local fortress, I got one where I try to recreate a train station, I got some parts of my school laying around. I have also this project I started this summer.

After the mapping con where I almost did not use radiant at all I felt I just had to open radiant and map. I started mapping the first thing that come to my mind. A cannon battery. Based on what I remember of the canon battery in the Oslo fjord, the very same that helped stopping the German cruiser Blûcher from reaching to Oslo the 9th of April 1940. The map have progressed well and I enjoy making it. I got help from Dougy some days ago and have finely managed to make a model in Blender. And now I feels once again like I know everything I need to know to make a map(whit self-made textures, models, skyboxes, shaders and all the rest), or at least who to ask(All you guy's. Thanks for being here when I need you!).

That basically all there is to know about my mapping time. Well, I still like to make everything myself and I think I can manage to do so too. But I'm open for cooperation :)

I am male, 17 and Norwegian. I enjoy camping, scripting, played the guitar and like computers. I am currently in my 13th year of school and I'm thinking of studying more.

This became almost 2 standard pages. I'm sorry, but when I had first written it I thought I could just post it.
I'm sorry for the bad grammar and misspellings(Google is not working well today(I normally translate what I write back to Norwegian to see if it makes sense)).

P.s A tl;dr is implied in this text so there is no need to write one xD

theRipper

Re: DagF

Post by theRipper »

holy shit xD cool story? tl;dr <3

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

you play guitar? :O

Also: acidjumps = ifjumps? O_O
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

DagF

Post by DagF »

I played it for 4 years or so.

acidjumps = ifjumps + much more work + much more experience + anything else a map needs to be any good.

DagF

Post by DagF »

theRipper wrote:holy shit xD cool story? tl;dr <3

Not sure if cool, just my story.

As i sayed there is no need for a tl;dr as it is implied.

theRipper

Post by theRipper »

well obv i didnt read :P

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

I read the story, didnt knew acidjumps was ifjumps (but i think i only played ifjumps once) :P
Keep on mapping! :D

You're my most used helper, skype is handy xD

BTW: I also play guitar :D
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

DagF

Post by DagF »

theRipper wrote:well obv i didnt read :P

I tought ppl read the p.s?

xandaxs wrote:I read the story, didnt knew acidjumps was ifjumps (but i think i only played ifjumps once) :P
Keep on mapping! :D
You're my most used helper, skype is handy xD
BTW: I also play guitar :D

I'm always glad to help :-)