Mapping for UrtHD -- the future of CMM

All the latest news and information will be announced here
johnnyenglish
Space cake

Re: Mapping for UrtHD -- the future of CMM

Post by johnnyenglish »

I'm kind of obsessing about this skeet thing now, been playing a little more with the scripting of a skeetobject.

Now have a moving skeet when the game starts, will stop when shot and eventually will explode, respawn, move randomly.

Please excuse the crappy sound, I should fix that.

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

The fact of the matter is FrozenSand has moved on to using Unreal 4 as our engine of the future not because it may or may not be the best engine choice but rather after years of investigating it is the logical choice that will allow Urban Terror as a franchise game to continue to grow into something that we all hope it could have been or can become.

Perhaps the number one reason to switch to Unreal 4 is the support being offered by Epic by maintaining a breathing project in the shape of the Unreal Engine as well as direct access to individuals over at Epic who are responsible for catering to individual teams, such as ourselves, based on unique requirements.

The ideal for FrozenSand would have been if the licensing terms and conditions for the idtech3 engine could have been finalized that would have allowed us the freedom to continue working on the fstech1 design, and in the process developing more advanced tools necessary to continue to improve the base game, but that was not to be and to continue to develop on a leaky game engine platform only risks failure and death by obsolesce by design.

That being said switching out an engine at this late stage of the game is not a 1.2.3. process and does take a fair amount of time and effort, not to mention money, to move an entire development pipeline over from one engine platform, that has it's own unique requirements, over to a more advanced design that requires individuals on the team to kit up so to speak.

With that out of the way we do have plans in the works to be a bit more open about the future development of the UrTHD brand and a bit more definitive as to our goals and intentions which has always been limited by the unsupported nature of the idtech3 engine that has been resolved with our partnership with Epic who are interested in our game design ideas of an already established working title.

More than anything that is why I'm here now not to help make things better but to let you guys know we are paying attention.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

The idtech3 licencing problem may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to FS, I'm kind of pleased you're dumping that dead-end engine and moving to something more modern, personally I'd scrap the whole 4.1/4.2 idea and just concentrate on building UrtHD. Long term, you might actually earn some dollar for your work.

In the future, when you've made more progress on the game and when you've confirmed that 3rd party maps are welcome we at CMM will need to know some details, what is "allowed" and what isn't but until then, just keep going and if you need any help/support let us/me know.

I think I'll be diving in to UE4 in the next couple of weeks, I've learned some of the basics on UDK3 and I'm impressed just how quickly you can get results.

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

I can confirm now that 3rd party maps will be welcomed and I've volunteered my time to ensure that 3rd party involvement in HD will continue as it has done so under the idtech3 engine.

It's a no brainier that the ongoing success of Urban Terror was due in large part because of the availability of 3rd party maps as to unique game play requirements and to cut off this segment of the community would be equal to cutting off an arm or leg.

quick

Post by quick »

Well I'm looking forward to UrTHD and can't wait to start mapping there.
Just got UE4 and going to check it out soon and begin to train there.

I'm going to be interested in how to move your 4.X maps to HD and will either help with making the documentation or wait for it.