Screenshots

Ideas and concepts for maps, discuss here.
Rayne
Site Admin

Re: Screenshots

Post by Rayne »

In general though there is an obvious difference between the use of brushes and polygons in how such items are rendered (filled) as compared to an element done using a brush as it’s divided based on the number of sides it has verses the same element done using polygons that is rendered as a single element regardless of the number of faces.

A wall with a window using brushes is 16 elements and a wall done in mesh is 1 element no matter how many windows it has.

Still an assumption but the vis data generated of a all ase modeled map is usually 1/20th the expected total of a map of equal size so based on the hard number modeling a map in general increases frame rate performance over the same map using brushes even if the total count of the model exceeds the total number of brushes used to create the map. Math wise a 500k map is more like 25k done using brushes.

This was sent to me by FrankieV today as a reply to my inquiry as to how the tris count is so much lower under bumpy and HD renders.
I think it will help everyone to understand just how the engine treats models compared to brushes.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Its quite old now but worth a read and details the process of development

27s old blog

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

So theoretically you CAN convert your map to an ase and use it as 1 big element, then do manual clipping throughout the map.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Delirium wrote:So theoretically you CAN convert your map to an ase and use it as 1 big element, then do manual clipping throughout the map.

In theory, yes. Practice...i wouldn't do that. Reflective water quadruples tris, if your entire map is one big model and it has 250k in tris...not good. I don't know how exactly does water determines what is reflected and what isn't but i know it can't reflect everything in the map, vis blocking or no vis blocking. I think it works similar like portal do. What a portal can see it's being drawn, if it hits an object it draws it but doesn't goes beyond it and draws something hidden behind the object.
This has to be verified with the FS team so we know exactly how does water works and what can be done to reduce it's impact on performance which is quite high right now.
If you have a shader applied on a surface that forces the surface to be redrawn every time a parameter in the shader changes, there is a chance the entire map will be pulled into the redrawing process.
Again I'm not sure about this, it has to be tested.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

I guess someone will have to try it out

theRipper

Post by theRipper »

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

That looks nice PP

MajkiFajki

Post by MajkiFajki »

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Slowly redoing Siberia in max. It's slow as hell, not to mention i have to redo most of the textures.

theRipper

Post by theRipper »

jesus christ im so not on cmm's level