ut4_nightshade

Ideas and concepts for maps, discuss here.
Lunaxe

ut4_nightshade

Post by Lunaxe »

Well i suppose this topic wouldve come up eventually, and i wanted a place to update my work for you all to (hopefully) appreciate :D soooo, for this pre-alpha map, and my first Urban Terror map- i present you all with these very pre-alpha screenshots and a promise of a Nightmare Before Christmas themed map which i have currently decided to name "Nightshade", for obvious reasons :P Some of you may think im getting a bit ahead of myself undertaking this as a first map, but the truth is- i hate poorly done maps. i will sooner kick my own ass to get more work done then release some blocky, low detail trash which will do nobody any good, including myself (since it puts my reputation at risk haha). The current plan is to take bits and pieces of the movies props (finkelstein's lab, jack's house, town hall, etc) and place them within a dark map that has some of my own personal touches. It will be mostly outdoors, in a town sort of setting, and a smaller map, probably suitable for 12 players or less (although this may change). As for indoor areas, i have plans for a cathedral, a rather large mausoleum, and who knows what else. If there's anything any of you would like to see within the map, please let me know- my imagination is usually hungry for ideas. As for secrets and "easter eggs" per se, you can count on them- i find it best to give players a positive kind of "WTF?!" sort of feeling when theyre playing my maps :lol: Thanks for checking this out! Hopefully this wasnt too big of an introduction statement haha

WIP Jack's House
What'sThis.jpg

WIP Jack's House (Gotta add some more structural detail to the window areas)
JacksHouse.jpg

Expect more sometime soon!
Care to see some of my work? http://www.youtube.com/user/xxlunaxexx

MajkiFajki

Re: ut4_nightshade

Post by MajkiFajki »

If You do it properly, you will became very famous:) NBCh is one of my favorite movies. Try to find some source material - artwork made by ppl who were responsible for design and so on.

theRipper

Post by theRipper »

deviantart ;)

karabounga

Post by karabounga »

Nice idea !!!!!

Lunaxe

Post by Lunaxe »

I've definitely done my research on this haha, and definitely checked deviantart as well ;) Theres actually a "Burton" based group on deviantart although their title escapes me... i might get back to you all on that. Besides artwork i actually have some pics of the town in panorama form, which means the world to how my design will go over :D MajkiFajki, i think youre right- if i can do this properly, some recognition will probably come with the release of the map BUT i am going to need the community here for advice, ideas, etc. which also means youll all get some sort of map iteration before anyone else haha. And i think its a good idea too man! Ive been waiting to do this a while, and i think its about time for it to become a reality.

P.S. would it be more efficient to make non-accessible buildings as .md3s rather than with GTK geometry?

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

Lunaxe wrote:P.S. would it be more efficient to make non-accessible buildings as .md3s rather than with GTK geometry?

Yep, use .ase format though, .md3 has some limitations

jtn191

Post by jtn191 »

pretty cool; Believe it or not, I've never seen the movie...but I dig the art style. You could find more inspiration in the video game (or youtube videos of) Kingdom Hearts

Lunaxe

Post by Lunaxe »

Thanks ValkoVer :D Ill have to convert my .md3s into that format then... and jtn191- watch it. if youve never watched it and lived long enough to live through one halloween season, somethings wrong haha. Theres actually a video game from the NBCh (Oogie's Revenge i believe), although im familiar with Halloweentown in kingdom hearts as well ;)

Update 1- And a quick update to Jack's House...
Adding more structural and aesthetic detail in these shots
shot0001.jpg

shot0002.jpg

Lunaxe

Post by Lunaxe »

Sorry about the double post, i couldnt add more than one attachment to my last entry though :? Anyways, things are coming along fine, although a bit slow since some of this is was developed in "stream of consciousness" and needs refining- such as my non-enterable, for the sake of being aesthetically pleasing buildings haha. Speaking of, here's a quick update with some screens of my current project (really only needs texturing and in-game functionality now).

Update 2- Starting on the Town Hall...
Gotta find some new textures haha
mm3d 2011-11-14 22-24-42-06.jpg

mm3d 2011-11-14 22-24-05-81.jpg

mm3d 2011-11-14 22-23-40-02.jpg

Let me know if any of you have suggestions for anything in the map, whether its architecture, textures, whatever. Thanks!

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hey I'm glad someone else is using misfit, it's a handy little modelling tool.

Your idea looks great, can't wait to see more.