Just an idea so far: UrT training

Ideas and concepts for maps, discuss here.
RageQuit

Just an idea so far: UrT training

Post by RageQuit »

I recently started on something other than what this post is about, but I wanted to get this idea out there, maybe get some opinions from more experienced mappers as the what the limitations might be, and what might be the best way to go about it.

The basic idea is to make a map, meant to played in single player, that would help new people learn and give people who have been playing a while something to do when their internet is down or something but they want to play.

I'm imagining being constructed in much the same way an icy jump map is, with several isolated rooms, each with it's own task to fulfill before advancement is possible. The first few would focus on movement (nothing too crazy, just basic jumping and sliding) and from there each room would progress through the individual weapons, with challenges designed specifically for each one.

Say the first room was for the G36, you would enter the room, pick up the weapon, and attempt to hit a number of targets, at varying distances, each linked to a a series of doors that will keep the player from moving forward until the challenge is met. The weapons would respawn in case the person really sucks ass at the challenge an needs to try again. Once they hit every target, they can move forward to the next room, where it would be a different weapon.

Each room would be designed to highlight each weapons given strength or weakness, and make the player comfortable with them. Some ideas I have had to make the rooms different from each other are moving targets, distances that would be long even for an sr8, having two colors of targets with one color being dummies, and a conveyor belt floor (like the one Rambetter made in one of the icy maps) to get the player used to moving and shooting. Each room could also have a button that would in some way increase the difficulty of the challenge, maybe by adding more targets, or opening doors that will reveal mr.sentrys to keep them from going to a spot that might make the challenge easier. As far as I know there is no way of embedding bots into maps so they load automatically, but maybe the final challenge could be to kill two somewhat high level bots.

In theory the map sounds like it would be simple enough to put together, but at the same time it also seems prone to many ways to fail, even something so simple as the fact that many new people probably don't know how to load maps without being online and unless they were told by someone, or happened across the release post they might never know to play it. And considering it would be something that wouldn't work online, it would be hard to get exposure.

Sorry for the wall of text...But I really like this idea, and I'm not sure if I want to stick with what I just started, or focus on this, so I figured I would try to get some feedback.
.:AnP:.+Rocks=TLF

xandaxs

Re: Just an idea so far: UrT training

Post by xandaxs »

I would play it once in a while!
Also good to figure out a proper sensitivity .
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

comment for every post you make: tldr?

RageQuit

Post by RageQuit »

flajeen wrote:comment for every post you make: tldr?

stop being lazy :l

j/k basically Im thinking of doing a weapons training map, with targets and the like.

Markinho

Post by Markinho »

There's an ut4_training already, but just with targets (pretty hard stuff for me :p)
Would be cool to mix it with some basic movements

KroniK

Post by KroniK »

I started a map like this... Its lost on my ruined hard drive :( but I had an alley that had some windows and stuff in it and I had urt figurines which would pop up and you would have to shoot at them to make them go back down. It worked out pretty ok, but getting it so that if someone quit halfway through the next person could still play... its quite a challenge and it involves about 30 billion delay and relay blocks. I wanted to make a skeet shoot part, a training part where the silhouettes would pop up, and a part with some of those training cross things which you can use to develop your snap reflexes. I was thinking of having timed rooms where you enter, push a button and go, then when your time is up, you are dropped through the floor and transported back to the beginning, that way no one could hog the rooms. Also, you have to find a way so that only one person can do each room at one time... That also makes it difficult. Doing stuff in Urban Terror Like that is really complex but its doable.

Also, you could possibly create a single player game using bots. Bots spawn in holding rooms and then when you enter a trigger brush there is a door that opens and lets them out and you have to fight through them to the next stage.
"I still miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is improving."

RageQuit

Post by RageQuit »

I haden't even considered doing a map that would work in multiplayer. It seems like there would be way too many problems, and that it would take FOREVER to refine...and I am still a noob at mapping. The reason I'm not sure about the bots is because I think they have to be entered in through Rcon, and can't just be placed in a map itself. I could make areas for them though, and include instructions on loading them in the readme.

KroniK

Post by KroniK »

I'm pretty sure that I could write a program that started Urt, loaded the map and spawned the bots... but it might be harder than i think it is...
"I still miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is improving."

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

Don't do it as you'd kill a lot of servers or players that don't want to play with bots
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

DagF

Post by DagF »

Start urt training
1 : with bots
2 : without bots

But then again with bots could be any urt maps with bots.