The Legend of Zelda

Ideas and concepts for maps, discuss here.
InigoMontoya

The Legend of Zelda

Post by InigoMontoya »

A small tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbDT1u1GBUE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAm9z52x__g

Edit:
The links now have music embedded. The music comes from http://www.zreomusic.com/
Last edited by InigoMontoya on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 am, edited 8 times in total.

MajkiFajki

Re: The Legend of Zelda

Post by MajkiFajki »

Do I see evil light entities used?

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I just brought in new lights. Right clicking the grid area of the map then pressing n and k to bring up the pop up windows to change their variables of brightness and color in turn.

None of the textures are original, which to most that may be obvious. The final look will be with steps or levels in that room along with the water converting into a fountain or a more elaborate waterfall. Just adding water to that room just seemed to bring it alive. The water running along the ground I was thinking of sinking it into the ground and it would flow around the base of the sword platform.

The whole map I'm considering to set in as an old forgotten castle within the realm of Hyrule where the triforce and the master sword are relics of a past age. Reason for a forgotten castle, other than looking aged well, it would permit placing large fallen stones within the interior to reduce the map from becoming a sniper gallery in the hallways and throne room. While also taking into account of balancing it against players camping.

I want each possible "camping site" to be possibly assailed from at least three different angles or directions.

Currently I'm working on the throne room which I may include some screen shots here soon. Given this is all pre-alpha and things will change but this pre-test does I think establishes a first step in the right direction. If it doesn't feel like Zelda I'll remove it or keep changing it until it does.

Criticisms and suggestions are most welcomed to keep this project on task of a Zelda like theme as I might include them into the map. The community has gotten me this far since I have been reading its forums and tuts at length. So feel free to add input as this progresses since I do not believe every step I take is truly mine in the sense that I have learned tips and ideas from the community of mappers, no matter how great or small.

This may have been a long post but I didn't want to overload the first posting when I just wanted to keep it simple for people to enjoy the small sample of the map.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I slapped together a vid of various concepts and additions. This map sadly enough is still pre-alpha and I won't be able to tackle it greatly until December, after the college term.

Enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baMkUJ5E8HQ

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

Have some nice things in there, but the map looks more like something you would take a look and never play it again instead of a map you'd feel like playing...
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I do agree, it's just concepts mostly...it will get a big push later on... I would barely call it pre-alpha myself. It's more just a test sampling of what will be part of the map as a whole later on and some insight of what may transpire.

I'm just treating it like a hobby since I don't have the time sadly enough for now to make it look more polished, but all criticisms are welcomed. :)

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

welcome*

Well, in spite of w hat i sai i do believe you made some beautiful things in there.

gsigms

Post by gsigms »

it s a nice theme! i can't say about frag, but i can easily imagine how nicely it would dress up a jump map.
nemNEMnem wrote:yeah, not like ur avatar, gsigms, i find ur ones is difficult to masturbate, too. :D :D :D :D

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

i thoguh about that too .l.
:D

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Thanks for the comments.

I guess what I'm looking for in criticisms is that "are the concepts worthwhile?" and you guys answered that.

The glass gems (rupees) in the throne room is just a conception for a room full of rupees unto itself. The floor would be strewn across with rupees. It would look something similar in the vid at 2:54.

The throne room would contain gems in the royal rug and perhaps some here and there like a small stockpile of gems, too.

One rupee equals 7 brushes so I have to be aware of my brush count. I've read that the suggested amount of brushes should not exceed 8k of the whole map in total. I'll probably be right at that limit or under it if I properly design the map.

I'm also looking into creating shaders of different color for the glass surface itself and not use the light for its artificial color.