Gudday Mate.

Welcome to the Custom Map Makers forum. We encourage new members to post a short note about themselves.
leighrex

Gudday Mate.

Post by leighrex »

Hey guys, hows it goin? I'm Leighrex, I'm from Australia and I'm 18.
So I'm here because Del asked me to register a while back to and I finally did!
I can't remember why I wanted to start mapping or how I started but I remember what inspired me.
What inspired me to map? ChuckfknNorris/nubcake from the Australian Tremulous Community.

Hope you guys don't mind a question.
So now that I've designed an Icyjump map I want to start designing a normal map for more experience, but I have no idea where to start... Do I draw an idea on paper? Do I Google something I like and design something themed with that? It's frustrating me to the max!

Delirium

Re: Gudday Mate.

Post by Delirium »

Well, there are several methods.
Method one, no planning. This is how most 3rd party maps are made. you just open radiant and start mapping hoping to take the ideas inside your head and make the next casa. Tohunga, Facade were made like this. 1/50 times you do this, you could end up with a map which gets played lots.

Method 2 is the method which I use now and which I recommend.
* Think of a theme, any theme what so ever. Lets just say our theme was a carnival.
* Now get out a notepad and planning begins. You need to first think of the atmosphere you want, should it be happy and bright blue skies, or should it be dark in the mistiness of the night. I chose a dark night like theme for Oaks.
* Now what you do is think of at LEAST 10 places you could find within your theme, this is CRUCIAL for your layout. For Oaks there was several like Tunnel of love, Entrance, Admin block, Fire exits, maintainance buildings, roller coaster, petting zoos, bouncy castle, slides, carousels, toilets, food court, information centre(the list goes on). The reason this is important before designing your layout is because all the HOT maps are recognizable by every square foot and you need to think of these areas which will be inside your layout before you start designing how they will look inside your layout, eg with TP you have pillars, street, window, toilets, office, back office, station, forklift, pedovan, sign. and the same with Casa.
* Once you've thought of a good list which your happy with then you need to follow what this article reads. http://www.twisted-strand.com/ut_tutori ... index.html the main bit to follow is the rule of 3. when you spawn you want to split the team up by 3, and each atrium should have at least 3 entrances/exits.
* Now is the part where the real magic happens, What I did is every night before I went to bed I drew a layout. I did all of what I said above with different themes EVERY night for a whole month. I now have about 17 layouts lying around which are worthy of playing. at the beginning you might be making pretty crap ones, but by the end of the 30 days I GUARANTEE you that you will have at least 1 flawless layout, this is one which I designed at least 10 days before the FTWgl competition was announced http://www.gotdelirium.com/site/materials/5.jpg this layout has now gone on to become Oaks and one of my greatest maps yet. It has been welcomed by SO many people that it could be called my best one so far (but stats don't agree just yet)

Anyway, that's my process.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

That's bloody good advice.

Can I just add - don't map in isolation. You've joined a community of mappers who understand the process and will be willing to help you in every way possible. It's a long lonely job making a map - if you need help/advice/support or just opinions - ask.

PS. Welcome

leighrex

Post by leighrex »

Cheers for the awesome advice Del and thanks Johnny I'll keep that in mind!

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

Hello leighrex!
Welcome to the community!

1q. Which div do u play in? If I recal it is a high one
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

gsigms

Post by gsigms »

welcome :)
nemNEMnem wrote:yeah, not like ur avatar, gsigms, i find ur ones is difficult to masturbate, too. :D :D :D :D

SettinG

Post by SettinG »

Plop, IcyJumper.

leighrex

Post by leighrex »

Xan: I'm in Australia's top clan and I play for Team Australia.
Icyjumps - 2ez.

Cheers for the welcomes lads.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Leighrex dwells in the corner of his room dedicating his life to being 1337 in every UrT aspect, hes conquered jumping, now shooting (being in kp10) and hopefully will become a 1337 mapper :D

JE is right, its easier to map when your being accountable and talking to other mappers, I talk so much about what I'm going to do next (eg update tohunga) cause then If I don't I'll look bad for saying I would.

Plus its great chatting to a bunch of people who all share a common interest. Also getting feedback from other mappers is a lot more effective than "Oh yeah thats great" from someone who doesn't map

leighrex

Post by leighrex »

Well, I have this map idea in mind...
Underwater base?