Patch VS brush for a simple wall

Brushwork, patches and other issues
Douze

Patch VS brush for a simple wall

Post by Douze »

I'm building a new jump map with an intensive use of patches. I'm using both brush and patche for simple walls.
My problem is its kinda boring/slow to select patch and only one brush face (when I want to fix textures for example): its easier to select patches only, when they are aligned.
So my question is: is it good to use some patches for simple wall ? (performance, light...)

Current version:

Version of my dreams:

ValkoVer

Re: Patch VS brush for a simple wall

Post by ValkoVer »

Extensive use of patches will affect performance. And you will have to build caulk hull behind geometry. Use -patchmeta in BSP stage and -patchshadows in Light stage.

MajkiFajki

Post by MajkiFajki »

Or use
http://mapgen.nerius.com/

and phong shaders.

Douze

Post by Douze »

Thank you for your quick responses.

@ValkoVer: I think the performances are the same for a square shape. But I'll definitly try these options to compile.

@MajkiFajki: I tried it (ty gsigms) but I wasted to much time (I've got a lot of patches of different size / shape and I had difficulties to understand all options due to my crappy english...)

But I've to use patches, I'm bored of squared jump maps !

gsigms

Post by gsigms »

Rambetter surface generators are really great, for perfect curves it is pretty straightforward, but to create flatter or fatter curves it is not that easy.

I do not know if patches are ok jump wise, I though it was not working very well with walljumps for example.
nemNEMnem wrote:yeah, not like ur avatar, gsigms, i find ur ones is difficult to masturbate, too. :D :D :D :D

Markinho

Post by Markinho »

I've been testing walljumps on both patches and brushes, Ramb's surfaces won

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

Use q3stairgen - search on Urban Terror forums. You can also make them manual way.

http://i.imgur.com/UffgM.png

Made with clipping tool - smaller the grid, bigger the perfection. Use phong shaders with this so you get a good effect.

Markinho

Post by Markinho »

That way makes lemmings at 99% if used for quaterpipes

Douze

Post by Douze »

@gsigms/Markinho: I found a golden mean, so player will jump on brushes / patches are for details and ground
@flajeen: cool stuff but I'll use patch - cooler, faster :p I think performances are quite ok but I'll ask some testers

gsigms

Post by gsigms »

Rambetter's Pipe generator can only generate perfect curves, so I think it is ok if you only make bevel from square brushes for your curved corners. May be Markinho can confirm but if you want to create slim/fat curves, you can play around with the extrude parameters and then cut the generated brush, but it seemed to me not very convenient.

I did some small modifications of rambetter's pipe generator to generate bezier curves instead of circular section as an experiment:

starting from a bevel patch:

bevel patch
bevel patch

you need to read from you patch the coordinate of the end points (in the example 0,0 and 384, 192) and of the control point (the pink one visible when switching to vertex mode, in the example 296, 16)

given a thickness (64) and height (128), and subdivision numbers for the wall, you can easily generate a best fitting wall: here for 3 subsections:

bezier 3 sub
bezier 3 sub

and for 8 subdivision

bezier 8 sub
bezier 8 sub

If you are interrested I can look into generating the slick brushes for that kind of curves.
nemNEMnem wrote:yeah, not like ur avatar, gsigms, i find ur ones is difficult to masturbate, too. :D :D :D :D