Design Process

General mapping discussions
DagF

Re: Design Process

Post by DagF »

FrankieV wrote:Layout was made with student copy and might not load back in on your end.

Might want to try downloading Grand Hall CC.

http://www.urbanterror.info/forums/topi ... e-commons/

It's a creative commons version of our Grand Hall test map.

Does this mean that the layout i made cannot be opened by others?

I exported the layout to fbx: http://dagfro.de/q3ut4/comps/layouts/layout%201.FBX

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

FrankieV wrote:1. Well Rayne if you can supply a Max file to work on that would be even better. Better still how about make it a team based project and “we” build a KnockOut map as the objective?

2. By the way if you set your world space pivot for all objects in 3ds Max to 0 0 0 than all objects you export from Max will align 100% in Radiant. For that matter my way of doing it is to use notepad and added the .ase model with a spawnflags 6 and once I'm happy I'll then do the simplified collision.

1. Well as it happens it was a rebuild of Ryiadh, a fan made remake i wouldn't even release beyond few screenshots and a video.
Haven't really built much, just cleaned up the original terrain and made a red spawn building, few place holder textures and that's pretty much it.

2. It's not so much about perfect alignment as it it's about making it easier to align objects when you have a lot of edges getting in the way.
Attaching a water drain to a house was a nightmare with all the windows, doors and roof edges, all in the same color.
Attachments
ryiadh.jpg

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

1) I would rather not copy someone else's map design. The problem Skaz had with Nevada is it used the same layout as Turn Pike so when it was released the players tended to bias that Turn Pike was better and that Nevada was just different.

2) This is a typical problem between bottom up and top down design as to an objective versus a result. GTK is a bottom up design tool that is progressive where 3ds Max is a top down design tool that makes any required changes easy with out at any point in the project. If something gets in the way you just remove it and put it back later.

Top down is very good as a design path as others can become part of the project and bring key skills to the table that someone might not other wise have. I know this has been attempted at CMM but the problem of putting ten map makers onto the same project your just going to land up with the same results but only faster as it's still a bottom up process.

So in baby steps

1) Lay out first. Who here is the best at layouts?
2) Art design. Who here is the best at art design?

That's all that is needed at this time so everyone knows at least the art direction as to maintain continuity of design. Can't have a log cabin in the middle of a cityscape for example. ;)

For that matter if this is going to be a team effort there is a need for both a designer and a art director. Any volunteers? I'll act as the tech guy.

If anything please learn and understand the differences between top down and bottom up as they speak two different languages as to intent and as to isolated problem solving.

DagF

Post by DagF »

I'd think John is one of our best at layouts and that Rayne is one of our best at design.

EDIT:
I did export the layout as a fbx if that helps: http://dagfro.de/q3ut4/comps/layouts/layout%201.FBX
I understand if the layout is not fitting for this project :)

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

Well DagF your layout would work if I was just going to show a different way as to how things are done.

As in not better but different.

But the better approach is to go with a bigger project so everyone who wish’s can get involved at some level hands on.

OK if Johnny wants to do the layout whats needed is 3D space and then use box primitives to define player movement with in that space, just like your lay out. I'm sure this is done more or less the same in GTK.

Rayne as art director would decided the overall theme of the map and supply reference photos as to the modeling and texture requirements to maintain continuity.

If need be I'll do the layout set up.

The logic is all this will be referenced at 0 0 0 world space and and the box primitive used to define it's position relative to other buildings with in that space.

What I'll send back is a UrT asset temple that will compile a BSP map and Rayne would then take the labeling used and apply an art reference package. Now you can supply anyone using any 3d application a asset resource file containing a space reference and art references as to what to build with in that space.

There is one rule thought that all must abide by and that is just because you make it does not mean that it will be added to the project if it's not up to acceptable standards. (just saying)

Most of all have fun. ;)

DagF

Post by DagF »

Sure :)

We still need to see if Rayne and John are up for the project tought. I realice i just gave them alot of work.

I will do whatever i can :)

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

There you go.

Top down scales so if either of the two figure they need help they can come up with their own team. The more the merrier.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

I'm not good at layouts, I make mazes coz I like mazes but there are loads of layout ideas on this forum, remember those sketches?

Also although I'm watching this with interest I have to make some progress on the skeet map -- or we'll look really stupid.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Yeah why not, but. And I'll say this just once, i got a crappy ass job, busting my hump 6 days a week trying to get to a foreman position, i got a fiance that is full of understanding but have no intention whatsoever neglecting her to get a texture set, a model or whatever done. She is my absolute number one priority right now, she comes first no matter what.
I'll do my best and invest as much time as possible, but the first time someone gives me shit about some Mickey Mouse deadline, I'll turn around and walk.

Also you all know my background, you've seen my work, i like colors and i like contrast, I'm not gonna waste time on something that will end up looking like mandolin (no offense Null but that map is as boring looking as a bowl of oat meal).
If you don't like that say it right now so we can get it out of the way.

Oh and one more thing, first guy that tells me to cut down the resolution of a texture a player can stick his nose in down to 256x256 can expect a kick in the ass.
I don't work with 1999 textures.

We all cool?

DagF

Post by DagF »

Yeah Rayne, we all cool.
We want to make a butifull noticable map that players notice.
no 256*256 textures.
no deadlines.

It looks like me and Markinho will be the ones that can focus the most on this(for my part that is the next month or so).
Rayne and John will help along guiding us and throwing in some hours when it works for them, if that sound alright?
And pickles will join us too ofc :)